We share the same universal, human needs throughout space and time. Marshall Rosenberg, the founder of Nonviolent Communication, listed 47 of them.
We have different strategies to meet these precious, beautiful needs, but underneath all those different strategies are the same 47 needs.
Understanding that everything we say and do is an attempt to meet these needs, helps us bridge conflict and work together.
- To choose one’s dreams, goals, values
- To choose one’s plan for fulfilling one’s dreams, goals, values
- To celebrate the creation of life and dreams fulfilled
- To celebrate losses: loved ones, dreams, etc. (mourning)
- Contribution to the enrichment of life (to exercise one’s power by giving that which contributes to life)
- Emotional safety
- Honesty (the empowering honesty that enables us to learn from our limitations)
- Protection from life-threatening forms of life: viruses, bacteria, insects, predatory animals
- Sexual expression